Sunday, September 14, 2008

So, How's Your Ward?

My friend Addi and I were talking about how people at BYU have a signature set of questions to ask you outside of "how are you?" He and I agreed to come up with some cool new ones, but for now I might as well answer one of the old ones. "So, How's your ward?" Today was only my second time going to my ward, but I think my bishop is pretty golden. (Though I missed having an interview with him AGAIN today---he's going to think I'm inactive) We had a lesson on chastity today.....I know awkward right? He has glowing white hair, so its even funnier when he blushes. The thing that stuck with me about the lesson though is that when you're body wants one thing and your spirit wants another---is you humor your body you're tearing your soul apart. That sounds intense, but in a very literal sense the two parts of your eternal whole are in contention there. I want to find the kind of guy that keeps my soul in tact.
Totally random, but I think it's also very insightful. I've got a bunch of classes that always leave me pondering. Whats funny is in some ways I enjoy the classes that are bears the best. Everyone whines up a storm about American Heritage, but Matt Holland is an excellent lecturer and he conjures up my Virginia-inspired passion for American History every class. I'm having an amazing time with it. I'm also in this sweet lecture series with a totally random topic every week. This week's lecture was "The Surprising Religious Aspect of French Philosophy"----we have a different professor every week as well, not just one jack-of-all-trades talker---- It's so awe-inspiring though.
Anyway, college is swell. I haven't kissed the make-out rock for good grades yet, but I think I'm still doing well that way. As President Samuelson pointed out at the first devotional, at the very worst, I could only be about 2 weeks behind TOPS. Haha.....anyway, Shabat Shalom all!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

It is fun to get an update from the college girl! I am glad you are enjoying your classes and ward. I am still laughing at being "two weeks behind at the most" Julie and I have been talking about coming down for a visit.

pinkmorning said...

i am so glad you like your ward and your classes. school is fun when you have interesting teachers teaching intereting things!

Beanie said...

I like your description of college. YOu are a priceless writer.