Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Newly Empowered



So, honestly, I've been less diligent with this thing then I thought I would be, but now I've got something new and exciting that I feel like sharing. I just joined CalorieKing online. Now, I've always thought it would be supremely annoying to be a calorie counter, but the way the site is set up is actually kind of fun and VERY EMPOWERING. I always thought this kind of thing would be impossible, but actually I'm at a goal of 1480 calories a day and it's actually a lot easier then I thought it would be. I was surprised to find out that I have pretty ok eating habits already. I've ended the day under the limit every day without any periods of time where my stomach is growling and I want more to eat. It's not like I'm even shooting to end under the goal that's just how the day ends. It's funny because in a way it's one of the most useful excercise motivators I've had. Like the other day my young women's leader took me out of seventh period to go to olive garden for lunch. I got home and found the 3 breadsticks I had as an appetizer alone were 420 calories! So, I'm looking at the screen thinking I want some more calories left over for a heartier dinner----so I thought---OH I can go on a bike ride and earn me some food points back!!! Now, in contrast if I had just been sitting there with no record that I needed exsercize---excersize----how the hey do you spell that? Anyway if there was no proof I needed (insert word here) then my lazy body would have absolutely no motivation to get up and go. Now, granted I want to the get to the point where the desire to have a better meal isn't my motivation for moving, but i figure this a way to find the activities that I really enjoy then I'll learn to do them 'for the love of it' rather then for 'what I may get out of it'......Anyway theres my little update. Oh and don't bother commenting with things like "you don't need to lose weight" or "why are you going on a diet?" because i keep hearing from people----not only is it an automatic response for most people, but it doesn't matter what they think because I'm doing this for me and not for them.

4 comments:

pinkmorning said...

that sounds like a pretty sweet website...i used to belong to fitday.com and it is essentially the same thing. i have actually been contemplating joining weight watchers myself...it is basically just counting calories and they let you work out to allow for those yummy calorific meals that would otherwise put you over your point total and with the weekly meetings it keeps you accountable.

GustoBones said...

Sounds great! You know when I lose weight people inevitably ask, "So, what are you doing"? I am always surprised because all I do is count calories. I think it is the best way to lose weight bar none. You can have a variety of foods and sometimes splurge, you just have to account for those calories at some point during the day. You're an inspiration, I have been wanting to shed a few more pounds for summer, but I although I have been execising, I have not been eating right. Thanks for your post! I think it is a life skill to be aware of what we take into our bodies and how we expend that energy. A life skill that I am still working on.

Rachel said...

Nothing can compare to the feeling of taking control of your own health and wellness. I have foudn that when I make good choices and then see those choices affect my mood, self-esteem, and body I feel empowered too. It is like, "hey look who is control here." If I want to eat right, I can.. I am in charge. hard to explain, but so awesome to feel. NOt only just ot lose weight, but to just be heatlhy and thoughtful about one's own health. Way to go.. You have inspired me.

Beanie said...

I do so much better when I am accountable. Otherwise, somewhere in my head, I think that this bite doesn't count. Oh, but it does. I agree that nothing makes you feel better than getting control of what you eat.