Friday, July 25, 2008

Philadelphia or Bust!

So today Dad (and Mom in spirit even though she wasn't here in person) gave me the coolest surprise of my life! So Dad has been telling us all week to keep Friday open, but wouldn't tell us why (which gets kinda sad when a person calls to ask to hang out on Friday and all you can say is---I can't, my Dad says to keep it open---that sounds like one of those 'gotta wash my hair, feed my cat, balance my checkbook' kind of bogus excuses). So we woke this morning and left at 7:10ish. There were corn nuts in the car (the official road food of corny nuts like us) so I knew we were in for a drive, but I also knew we would be back by 2...? Looking back at it now I don't know why I didn't figure it out. Anyway road trip inevitably ahead I was confused to say the least, when we turned into the Robinson parking lot....?

You can't see it but I'm giving Dad the confused stink eye because I'm back in High School...? So at exactly 7:20 we touch the front door and say the pledge of allegiance and have a moment of silence. (At this point we still don't know what is going on and the pledge of allegiance totally through me off....). So then Dad hands us a sign and takes a picture of us holding it before we even know what it says then we FINALLY get to look and.....
Philadelphia or BUST!!!! Yep, we took on the ellusive Philly Cheesesteak challenge in a way that turned out WORLDS BETTER than it would've been if I skipped a day of school to do it.


The Challenge: Leave the school at 7:20 drive to Philadelphia. Eat a genuine Philly cheesesteak ON SITE. Drive home before the last school bell rings at 2:05.

We each had an envelope marked "Top Secret" in the car so we spent our drive up reading everything from the history of the cheesesteak to "175 reviews of 'Pat's King of Steaks'" It was SO MUCH FUN! The reviews of the cheesesteaks were everything from:



"They all have awful meat and bread, but for some reason's Pats is just a bit better...its kinda like that episode of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns had every disease on the planet, and they somehow balanced eachother out so he didn't die."


or


"Pattysteak!
Pattysteak!
Cheesesteak man!
Fry me a steak as fast as you can!
Chop it!
And cook it!
And mark it with some whiz!
Make ten steaks
For my wife and kids!

(insert belch here.)"


All of the reviews were in all fondness but painted the cheesesteaks as pretty terrible. a limp roll with greasy chewy meat and undercooked onions slathered in cheese wiz. And they were as terribly wonderful as advertised. I LOVED it!



Actually, lets be honest. I chickened out on the cheese whiz idea because that sounds terrible, so I ordered provolone instead, but it looked dry so I sorta pined after the cheese whiz of my fellows. Luckily, Philadelphians are as rude and unobliging as rumored when Michaela got her cheese whiz she asked if she could have provolone like mine instead. his reply was "I alreddy maid yer sandwhich sweet-hart!"

So my cheese whiz dreams came true today. That and we had the most incredible fries of my life---also dripping with cheese whiz......hahahahahahahaGAG. Anyway the day was incredible and though we were absolutely crunched for time and despite that fact we still had to stop for cash and cinnabon (haha I wish I was joking about the cinnabon, but I'm not) to pay for the tolls (we paid with the cash not the cinnimon rolls). We ultimately made up the time and made it back with 11 minutes to spare!
So I guess the lesson here is if, one day, you are living in fairfax and you have some spare cash and I don't know say 6 hours and 45 minutes to kill drive up to Philly and get yourself a cheesesteak.....nuf said.

P.S. THANK YOU MOM AND DAD FOR MASTERMINDING THIS PLAN!


4 comments:

GustoBones said...

Looks like a really fun day! MMM, now I want a philly cheesesteak!

Rachel said...

haha.. I love the reviews of the cheesesteak. I am going to make Jeremy read this.. he thought I was being mean when I told dad that the traditional cheessteak must have cheesewhiz on it.

zealygirl said...

I'm glad you still got to have the experience. It sounds like a lot of fun!

pinkmorning said...

that does look like a fun day and now i want one too! we have a place here called "the philadelphian" that i think we will be eating at tomorrow now, haha.