Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"The Pits"

Dad packs me a lunch every other day and when he does, he puts a little goofy thought of the die on the paper bag it comes in. Today's thought was:

"If life is a bowl of cherries, what am I doing in the pits?
-Erma Bombeck
(she died)"

No other day has had a more fitting caption to it. I know people always say that bad days are the worst when they're in the midst of them, but today really was in the top ten worst days of my life. I had an anxiety dream and then was awakened about an hour and half late so I missed seminary completely. Then, we were running late so I was calling my friends that take the morning bus with me to tell them to hold the bus for me and the only one with her phone on was at home sick. So while I'm on the phone I pull into the parking lot and almost hit our freaky school admin who is a vietnam vet and hated by all (every school has one). We just flashed past each other so I didn't think he'd seen my face or anything. So, I rolled my ankle in muscial theatre doing this awesome dance routine and it didn't hurt that bad, but it slowed me down. So, I was late to the next class meaning I ran into the same nam vet, but we were the only two in a hall that is a quarter mile long so it's kinda hard to say "oh, i didn't see you." So he calls me over and tells me he knows it was me in the little white car this morning that almost hit him and then rants about VA law or something.

So all of that made me late to Topics so I missed this whole worksheet thing that we did that was the only graded part of the day. Then instead of lunch I went to donate blood. (the one salvation to a day like this). The whole blood thing went fine and I read while they took the blood and people were gathering around being like *look how calm she is while they draw her blood, she's reading!* It was kind of silly, but whatever. (Sidenote: I say giving blood is the up point of my day because giving blood and doing baptisms for the dead are like the only things I get to do to prove that I'm grateful to have the blessing of a healthy and whole body and that I acknowledge that not everybody does. ) Anyway, unfortunately----because they took a pint of my blood out, there wasn't any extra blood to rush down and help heal my rolled ankle. So after that point in the day my ankle hurt about thirty times worse. My limp all the sudden worsened and I got no pity, because I fake a limp as a character choice for Les Mis so everyone thought I was doing that.

Actually the whole real limp would be some cool accidental method acting, but I decided since the day the cast list came out that my left leg was going to be dead, so my muscle memory tells me to always put my weight on my right leg for the sake of the character. Now, though, my right leg was the genuinely hurt one so I kept leaning on it and shooting pain through it all the time. Right now is the only time I've been able to sit for any extended period of time all day.

What's funny about all of this drama though is it wouldn't have been so dramatic if I'd decided it was a good day from the beginning. In fact some of the things on the list probably wouldn't even be memorable anymore if I hadn't let the glass be so half-empty. It sounds so cliche, but for serious---a good attitude makes all the blasted difference in the world. That is all for now, sorry it's so long, but i haven't written for a while so Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

GustoBones said...

Attitude really is everything isn't it? I am sorry you had such a lousy day though!!!

Rachel said...

man! I am sorry about your day. It sounds like it truly was the "Pits" I did like your thoughts about donating blood, though.