Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday

Last night I heard a knock on our door and there was a big, beautiful Easter basket and an egg dying kit with my roommate's name on it. I took it in happily, but once I set it down on the table--i sheepishly started to cry. Easter is wonderful, but really any holiday while you're away is just a reminder that you don't live with your family anymore. But just in my lowest moment, I heard another knock on the door. I looked in the peep hole and there was a ridiculously large grin magnified by the curved glass. I opened the door and in burst happy fella and rival gang leader Micah Fry telling me that I absolutely HAD to come jump in a lake with him. #1) what lake? and #2) WHAT!?. We walked all the way to where the alleged lake was supposed to be and it was not there, (we ended up swimming in the sculpture garden reflecting pool instead) but It's incredible the way in which the tender mercies of the Lord work. Micah doesn't really come over very often; only sporadically and always with some crazy adventure in mind. I'm sure he doesn't know that he is a ministering angel to me every time. He just pops up with a loaf of bread to give us or a game to play always when I'm feeling the most homesick or depressed or undesirable.The tender mercies of the Lord are overwhelming to me, and this Easter Sabbath has reminded me of the greatest tender mercy of all. It seems an odd place to bear my testimony, but I feel compelled to tell you that I know that my redeemer lives. He has felt homesick and depressed and undesirable and lonely and has even experienced spiritual death; all for us. I love the idea that he could have become familiar with our pain through revelation, but chose to experience it firsthand that he may more fully be able to succor us. I love Jesus Christ far above my poor power to communicate it. I hope that somehow in my life I can always be striving to pay back the ultimate debt. The reason this blog is all sappy and romantic is because love is so important to me, and it is astounds me that the single greatest act of love in the history of the world was out of love for me.

For that I am truly grateful and I want to lose myself in trying to love others half as deeply as I am loved, though they may not know they already have that same love that I have from the same infinite, intimate, and incredible source.

2 comments:

emily said...

i think you've got it all figured out. no foolin'.
p.s. i love random, "let's jump in the lake" times. the best.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post Mariah. Reading things like this from you makes me miss you a lot, and wish we had hung out more when you were still out here at home. I really admire you for your testimony and your love for the Savior and the gospel. It means a lot to me to read it from someone close in my family. I miss you like crazy girl! Hope all is well in Israel! (haha dontcha love poetry?) Love you and Andy n wish you the best in this new week!

~Tru